Old January 12th 12, 06:16 PM
nanhi nanhi is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW View Post
I'll be travelling to Rome this summer. I know a tripod is out of question
for many places, not to mention the inconvenience. I am wondering if a
monopod will be useful or not. Please advice.
We were on a 3-week guided tour of Europe in August 2011 - in Rome & Italy for (5) Days. No where we felt the need for a tripod/monopod as we were using 10-20 & 28-75 mm lenses for street & our travel shots. Monuments in Europe require Wide lenses NOT Telephoto due to the narrow spaces and very tall monuments / Churches / Spires. Every where you need to take all encompassing panoramic shots. Any way all DSLRs have either body or lens based Shake Reduction. This is good enough for Wide lenses even for the worst of shaky hands. Any way a tripod is banned in almost all of Europe. In some places smaller Monopods are allowed - approx 400 mm or less when collapsed.
Have a great time - but do carry a super wide lens.