Old November 30th 13, 10:36 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
sid[_2_]

Default converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D

bd wrote:

Hi to Everyone !

I previously had an old Powershot G2, and I used "dcraw" to convert RAW
images to such formats as tiff, ppm or jpg. I must state that I dont use
MSWIN and don't intend to, so the software that is meant to be used with
those cameras is useless to me. My favorite OS are Debian Squeeze on one
PC, Ubuntu 13.04 on the other one. DCRAW works fine, but... the results
are not as good looking as those that the camera delivers in jpg format,
since, I suppose, the latter go through one or more enhancement processes
such as sharpening, improving contours and contrasts through the use of
various filters or in altering gamma factor etc.. I have tried to treat my
converted raw pictures using various filters and else, but I never got
results as good as expected, especially if compaired to those that the
camera delivers in jpg.

With my new EOS 600D, I use "ufraw", which works as an interface for
dcraw. The results that I obtain are neither better nor worse than those
with the G2.

So, I wonder if anyone would know about what treatment Canon exactly
applies to raw images so as to deliver enhanced jpeg pictures, either
inside the camera, or through the software that they provide for use with
MSWIN. Is there a place or address where I could expect to find this ?

Short answer is no, whatever adjustments Canon make to produce their jpgs
are their secrets.

I also found dcraw and ufraw a bit lacking when I first started along the
path that you are now on, 2006 in my case, so I settled on using Bibble.
Corel have now purchased Bibble and market it as Aftershot Pro. I've found
no reason to change and am currently using the final version of Bibble 5.
Other open source alternatives are Digikam, RawTherapee and Darktable.
I have to say though that having recently tried ufraw I was able to easily
acheive my desired results, because I am much more aware now of what
adjustment does what and how to achieve the look that I require. It does get
easier the more you do it

--
sid