Old November 22nd 03, 04:59 PM
Steve

Default Rule of Thirds?

On 21 Nov 2003 23:26:46 GMT, Toke Eskildsen wrote:

Slingblade wrote:

[Snip Golden Section]

No mention of photography though! I still say the Rule of Thirds
is a good rule to use.

I'm sure it is, since that seems to be the normal rule of thumb.

However, I'd like to know if one of the rules are better than the
other, if we disregard the extra time it takes to calculate the Golden
Section?

Oh come on, don't you think it all depends on the picture? How can you
possibly debate the difference between 33% and 38% without regard to what's
in the frame? Frankly, if you're going to impose such an arbitrary blanket
rule on all pictures then any number will work as well (or as badly) as any
other. These rules are *approximations*, rules of thumb - and like all
rules should be broken on a regular basis. Choosing between 33% and 38% is
pseudo-precision at best.