Old February 20th 18, 06:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default How political-correctness ruined the Pirelli calendar

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2018 00:16:33 -0600, Savageduck
wrote:

Americans (I have no idea where "newsguy" is from) would know Sellers
from "The Pink Panther", "Dr Strangelove", and other movies but might
not know that he was in "The Goon Show".

Far from being in the “Goon Show” his role as a multi-character actor in
that show was what led to his later career.

There is a tie here to photography, you know. Sellers and Antony
Armstrong-Jones were close friends.

That was due to the Royal family being great fans of the “Goon Show”.

... and I believe Armstrong-Jones had an “h” in his Anthony.

Nope. I do (in my birth certificate name), but he was "Antony".

Antony is the older spelling. The Shakespeare play is "Antony and
Cleopatra". It wasn't until the 1600s that the "h" was added by some.
Antony seems to be the more common spelling in the UK. At least, so
say the UK people that I'm in touch with in another newsgroup. When I
spell the name with an "h", they question my spelling.

Eden, Hopkins, and Blair are Brits with the Anthony spelling, though.
Anthony Burgess (Clockwork Orange) is actually John Anthony but drops
the "John" as his pen name.

The things we learn via UseNet.

Savageduck