Old April 6th 14, 06:18 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Should I short digital camera manufacturers?

On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 00:50:41 -0400, Dale
wrote:

On 04/04/2014 11:31 PM, nospam wrote:
a phone is good enough for most situations where someone might have
previously brought an slr or compact, and the phone cameras keep
improving.

what about the wide angle lens of these cell phones?

I don't think cell phones are going to get enough thicker to change the
angle

but for consumer applications they seem "good enough" except that the
sRGB color standard doesn't cover all monitors/TVs and some cameras
export less quality color reproduction than is what is on the phone
display, some phones don't even keep the rotation right

A few weeks ago I posted a link to work that may lead to a lensless
camera with an equivalent focal lens length of your choice. The work
is being targetted at thin flat cameras suitable for cellphone use. I
am aware of no indication of how good this may turn out to be.

Eric Stevens