Old November 9th 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Beer with me

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 19:26:43 -0800 (PST), -hh
wrote:

Tony Cooper wrote:
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 12:28:23 +1000, alvey wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 19:54:54 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2018 19:51:01 -0500, Tony Cooper wrote:
In the US, a person who orders a beer in a bar
You can ignore this thread.

Why? It's more interesting than a lot of the usual drivel.

Anyway, to posit an answer... There's far more choices of beer in the UK
than there are in the USA and it's not uncommon for drinkers to have
different beers in different pubs. Or even in the same pub. The UK pub
scene is grand. There's usually a vast choice within walking distance of
home and the tone is much more relaxed and happily sociable than any other
country I've drunk in.

I suspect it depends on what pub you’re frequenting, even in the US.
While choice/varietycan be pretty slim in some venues (I hesitate to
suggest the “Honest Dive Bar” stereotype, but...), the microbrew scene
is no longer an obscure, impossibly hard to find niche.

I've been to the UK several times, but always had a problem knowing
what beer to order.

It’s even more so in Belgium. Try running the beer menu at the Delirium Cafe in Brussels :-)

When I found one I liked, the temptation was to order that same
one again, but the other temptation to try something else looking for
one even better.

It’s useful to try different styles to learn what you like, as well as to have
some “old reliable” choices, but the simple answer is be willing to be
adventurous, as you’ll only have two kinds of beers in your life: those you
remember (very good and very bad) and those you don’t (all the rest).

Personally, I’m usually game to try the local draft, whatever it be, to start
to learn (& experience) a region. The mass market brands in the US do
tend to dampen this, particularly in small basic establishments that just
have the Lite beer from the three major brands, and Bud...

Lite beer and Twitter are two harbingers of the Apocalypse that is to
come.

Anheuser-Busch did the seemingly impossible. They came up with the
world's worst beer - Budweiser - and made it even worse: Bud Light.

I've never been one to go to bars in the US. Too often they are dark
and noisy. Pubs, though are a joy to visit.

Indeed. Many places have gone to the big blaring TV sets on the walls
blasting pro sports. No longer a place to just sit & talk.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida