Old April 19th 18, 10:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Letting off steam

In article , Bill W
wrote:

They don't *just* spoof your local area .. I once got a
spam call that was spoofed as my own phone number.

that's the easiest of all to block with no risk whatsoever.

Not if you have an alarm system that calls you...

why is the alarm system calling you using your own caller id and not
that of the alarm company? and if you're home, why does it need to call
you at all?

No need for an alarm company - I think they're useless. It calls me by
landline & a cellular connection, so cutting every wire going to my
house won't foil the alarm system.

that doesn't answer the question, which is why it's calling you with
spoofed caller id, that being your own number and not theirs, and if
it's both landline & cell, then at least one of them should be
different.

It's not spoofed, and there is no "theirs". It's my alarm, I installed
it, and it uses my landline to call my cell phone, and then also uses
a cellular connection to call my cell. If the landline is cut, it
makes no difference, and there is no way to kill the cellular
connection, except with a jammer, which is not something the typical
burglar has.

if the alarm is using your home phone (or cellular backup) to call your
cellphone, that's completely valid. your home number is different than
your cellphone number. it's the same as if a family member called you.

the problem is when the number of the phone you're answering shows its
own number on clid. that can't happen. a phone cannot call itself and
ring. it either rolls to voicemail or is busy (a sound that's almost
extinct.

example 1: your home number is 212-555-9876 and clid shows
212-555-9876. that's invalid. it's a spammer.

example 2: your cell number is 808-555-4321 and clid shows
212-555-9876. home calling cell. no issues. it could be the alarm or it
could be you need to get a pizza on the way home.