Old May 29th 15, 02:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Mayayana

Default Laughable Apple watch ads: Urban millenial D.B's that only ever see LARGE buttons on the watch

| Ludicrous is the nicest response that I can come up with. Why in the
| world would any healthy person want to make a spread sheet with
| average pulse rates?
|
| A lot of fitness-savvy people and athletes do on a regular basis.

Fitness-savvy? I guess that's probably a good
term, actually: People who follow the fashion
of "fitness" as part of a conceptualized, semi-
conscious routine of self-development and self-
fulfillment. (Whatever that means. I'm sure they
can't tell you. They're just doing what the TV ads
told them to do. Eating power bars made mostly
of sugar; wearing "panty hose" on the street to
show that they work out, even if their behind ends
up looking like a very large sack of cantaloupes;
taking their statins and high blood pressure drugs
and happy pills to maximize their quality of life, while
they wolf down a piece of salmon grilled in olive oil
on their way to yoga class. The average fitness-savvy
person is arguably unaware of their body to a
surprising extent. "Achieving" exercise and keeping
a record is part of that.)

| So, no, you don't "need" an iPhone to take photos on your vacation or an
Apple
| Watch to monitor your pulse rate when exercising, but these are now
features that
| are built in, and if you *have* either gadget, you don't really need a
dedicated
| one for the task any longer. Less clutter, yay.

But the discussion was about Apple watches.
They're not built in to your iPhone. It's a new
gadget. As I understand it they start at $300+.
An old-fashioned pedometer cost, what, $5?
And even that was a waste of money that people
would use once or twice and then forget about.

I have no doubt that the fitness gadget craze
will be short-lived, simply because it's a business
model looking for a purpose. Remember Bill Gates
and his SPOT watch? He wanted to sell you more
stuff and track you at the same time. He wanted you
to live in a Microsoft world. The only problem was
that his watch served no purpose. He kept talking
about getting sports scores and stock quotes "on
the go". It was just silly. Of course, Apple fans will
buy silly, but even they have limits.