Old December 8th 03, 03:33 AM
Vov@ Sadovyy

Default Sigma 70-210mm f/4-5.6 UC II

Don't waste your money. Buy a MF 200m f4 Rokkor, used. Or, buy the longest
Rokkor lens you can afford (again: used, MF). No AF system will
track a bird in flight - don't bother trying.

I have Maxxum Minolta, so I need the lens for this camera.. I saw this
lens used for $75 - is it a high price?

Are there any solutions (that cost less than a small car) ?

1) A bird blind. Any old tent will do. A partially open window
in your house with the lens sticking through and the curtains
drawn around the lens works fine.

2) Bird seed or animal feed hidden out of view of the
camera. A seed & suet ball from the grocery store pet
counter hung on a branch serves as a great attractant
-- photograph the bird as it sits to the side of the
feed.

I think, it is right approach..

200 mm - from which distance is possible to create suitable shot of
small bird, like a sparrow, with this focus length?