Old November 3rd 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Got to admit; when Windows fails, it does so spectacularly.

On Thu, 01 Nov 2018 19:06:31 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Serious question: how often would you expect to have to replace (i.e.
refresh) a NAS?

replace/refresh what? also, replace & refresh mean different things, so
what exactly are you asking?

keep in mind that a nas can be a computer with file sharing enabled
(along with whatever else) and one or more drives. it doesn't have to
be a nas box such as synology or qnap. there are advantages to each.

I didn't ask you for a definition of 'NAS', a term which you
introduced to this discussion. I was wanting to know "how often would
you expect to have to replace (i.e. refresh) a NAS?"

To explain the term 'refresh' to you, it comes from Alan Browne's use
of the word in:

tl;dr discs are *not* archival.

That's why I refresh them every 5 - 6 years.

.... which I took to mean he replaced them because they had come to the
end of their reliable life.

The same problem, although from different causes, must occur with NAS
storage. Software may become obsolete or hardware become old and
unreliable: there must come a time when it is best to replace the NAS
with a new one. Hence my serious question: how often would you expect