Old May 10th 10, 01:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
tcroyer

Default Cost Effective "Pro" Compact

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 May 2010 22:45:01 GMT, (Bill Murphy)
wrote:
I will be travelling to countries where an expensive camera would
attract too much attention. I would love to take an LX3, G11 or Nikon
D40, but would not feel comfortable with it.

I would also prefer "pocket-size", or a maybe bit larger, for being as
inconspicuous as possible.

If I go down in price a few steps, what digital point-and-shoot
cameras with a mid-range zoom have the better reputation for quality
images.

RAW would be great, but I can do without.

Thank you for any advice.

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 is relatively inconspicuous in black.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCLX3/

I would also suggest taking a look at the Panasonic Lumix GF1 which is
a Micro Four Thirds camera with interchangeable lenses. I have just
replaced my LX3 with a GF-1 and am happy with it. Effectively, it
gives DSLR quality in a much smaller package (my other camera is a
Nikon D700). Once again, it is relatively inconspicuous in black.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicGF1/

At a smaller size, the Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR gives surprisingly
good results at high ISOs making it a good travel camera. It is also
competitively priced - at least here in the UK.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf200exr/

(The reviewed F200EXR was in silver finish, however it is also
available in black.)

Not quite in the same class as the Fuji, but a good travel camera
that you wouldn't lose a fortune on is the Kodak Z915. Longer
zoom range and the (dis)advantage of being powered on AA
batteries. It's what I carry when I think there's a realistic chance
that I could use or "fatally" damage my camera. It's cheaper, too,
than the Fuji.