Old July 29th 18, 07:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tim Watts

Default 25 days to Nikon throwing the towel as the defender of the DSLRagainst the onslaught of mirror-less.

On 2018-07-29 03:08, RichA wrote:
About time. They and Canon were about as tardy to mirror-less as Disney was to DVD.

I never understood well why a digital camera needed a mechanical mirror.

Me neither. The whole point of a "DSLR" was being able to lose the "SLR"
bit. To me the term "DSLR" tended to suggest a digital with removable
lens camera rather than a fixed assembly, more than it strictly being a
true "SLR"

Perhaps in the early days when super high res eye pieces and back
displays were infeasible, it made sense. But now Panasonic can stick a
hi res display into an eyepiece and on the back, it's all a bit irrelevant.

Not to mention these days, you want the electronics seeing the image all
the time for continuous tracking of various attributes (focus, exposure etc)