Old August 4th 04, 04:31 AM
Peter De Smidt

Default Newbie question: Is Jobo the way to go for large format negs?

Marco Milazzo wrote:
I want to do 4 X 5 and 8 X 10 Large negs. I don't have a darkroom
with running water, but I do have a (not completely dark) bathroom. I
assume I can load Jobo tanks in the dark and do all other processing
in the light -- correct?

Yes.

Any advantages or disadvantages of Jobo over tray-development?

The development will probably be significantly more consistent and even.

Remember, though, that the best way to develop sheet film in a Jobo is
with the expert drums. These are expensive and work best only with the
most current version of the CPP-2, and the model one step down. Jobo
changed motors a number of times over the years, the specifics are on
Jobo's site; and the big drums really need the latest motor. Moreover,
these processory are quite bulky, and so you'll need a fair amount of
space in your bathroom. I suppose you could set the processor in the
tub, but that would involve sitting on the floor or bending over. Not good.

-Peter De Smidt