Old December 25th 03, 03:47 AM
zeitgeist

Default how to put the border around a headshot?

here is what i want to do to my headshot

http://www.graphicreproductions.com/4.htm

any ideas of how to accomplish it. with photoshop 8?

Most likely they bought a CD full of borders, that looks like what they used
to call a filed out negative carrier frame, a photog would literally take a
metal file to enlarge the image area around the negative, way out to the
edge of the sprockets, it was an arty look.

Now you can buy CD's full of various royalty free images of borders, that, a
4x5 type neg edge, various polaroid edge effects.

You can make your own, to get a deckle edge take a piece of paper with a
deckle edge and scan it, copy and rotate so you have four sides,

frankly I think you should keep it simple, if you were to talk to casting
agents, ad art directors, you'll find that they find such effects
distracting, even annoying.

what I sometimes do is make a dup layer, hit layer style and add a beveled
edge with inner or outer glow, that will give you a thin clean edge with no
attention getting distractions.

Its really rare that a fancy matting, underlay, overlay, pin stripe tape,
and arty borders actually improves an image. In PPA print competition you
will see it on a lot of prints, but any time it becomes as noticable as the
subject itself then the whole thing takes a hit in the score, it smells of
flop sweat, a desperation move to rescue a mediocre image that the submitter
had already spent a wad to make a print and retouch. It just doesn't sing,
so they start putting mattes and color tape edges hoping something might
fly.

Photoshop 8? geez, I'm still puttering around with 6.

here's some ideas...

if your target is an 8x10, then scale your image for, say 7 inches wide,
make another copy of the image that is 7.5 wide, now run a filter or two,
streak it, blur it, dapple, grain, swirl, whatever. hit image adjust and
curves or brightness and make it a step or two darker (or brighter) and drag
it on to the final canvas, then drop your main image, now you have a custom
border keyed to your image.