Old April 1st 04, 04:44 AM
Paul Schmidt

Default full frame 35mm display

Nicholas O. Lindan wrote:
"Martin Francis" m wrote

"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote

If you want the uncommon black stripe and ratty negative holder
method look I can not help you.

UN-common?

Yes: Pick up a book of photographs, open a magazine, go to a
gallery, a museum and count: with black border Vs without
black border.

Just a thought exercise: which do you think will be
the more common?

Black borders were first done to be UN-common: not like the
crowd.

Actually I think Ilford invented the black border, Cibachrome prints
done with a blank border means a black border rather then a white one.
Some folks thought it was cool, and could be done with Negative prints,
simply by putting something over the exposed print raising the easel
border, and then giving it double tim exposure under the enlarger with
no negative in the carrier. Burns the border in wonderful black.

I always thought with the rich colour saturation of Cibachrome prints,
the black border looked better, with the lower colour saturation of
negative prints the white border looked better, but that's just my opinion.

Paul