Old September 30th 08, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Clair Johnston

Default How are zoom lenses driven?

J.C. wrote:
I'm having weird trouble finding usable diagrams of "super zoom" internals,
or any zoom for that matter. Cutaways show the glass and OIS, but how are
the sleeves aka barrels actually moved?

I imagine it would either be rack & pinion, with cogs in a straight line on
a sleeve and motorized gears grabbing them from the sides. Or is it rubber
friction rollers on the barrel, like a tape deck drive?

Specifically, what motor/gear system powers 12X+ Lumix/Leica lenses? My
camera is a FZ18. Any links to diagrams would help. Thanks.

J.C.

Try the Panasonic web site. I was able to get the repair manual from
them for about $10 US to fix my wife's TZ3 after she has dropped it.

Clair