Old October 9th 07, 12:06 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
HeroOfSpielburg

Default Advice for finding discontinued film

Thanks to everyone for the discussion.

film when it comes to getting correct colour due to the orange mask of
color negatives. That's just a guess though. I think I scanned one or
two rolls of Centuria 100 with my K-M Scan Elite 5400 II and they
turned out nice, but didn't shoot equivalent shots of the same scenes
with Reala for comparison.

In my experience, this is correct. Just as different types of film
stock manifests different characteristics in print, the same goes for
scanning. On first scan, the color balance of the Centuria is a lot
more natural and gives a lot more vivid blues that makes the picture
feel cooler. However, when I scan Kodak SuperGold 400 shot in the
same lighting conditions, the scan usually comes out with a sort of
unnatural yellow wash that really degrades the depth of of the
picture. I suppose I could set up a custom profile with some
correction for the curves and apply it when scanning the Kodak, but
I'm really so fond of the tonal separation I get from the Centuria I
don't want to mess with much else.

I haven't tried scanning Reala yet. I will definitely take a look at
that next time, though.