Old June 26th 04, 04:37 AM
john

Default UV Protector filter vs. Skylight filter?

Hi folks,

I'm trying to find out more information about the filters I should be using,
but when I try to search on the internet, I usually just keep getting links
to sites selling filters, not giving information.

I'm confused as to the difference between UV Protector filters and Skylight
filters. On the one site where I found information, it said this about UV
Protector filters:

UV filters are wise initial investments. They help protect your
valuable investment from dust, moisture and scratches, which
can lead to costly repairs. If desired they can be left on the
lens at all times for protection. UV filters provide additional
benefits of correction for Ultraviolet (UV) light which can
register on film and videotape as a bluish cast and can
obscure distant details. Ultraviolet filters allow you to correct
for the UV effect to varying degrees.

And then it said this about Skylight filters:

Due to its light pink color, the Skylight reduces the bluish cast
of daylight and produces a pleasing, warmer picture tone.
Wise initial investments, they help protect your lens from
dust, moisture and scratches, which can lead to costly repairs.
If desired they can be left on at all times for protection.
Skylight filters provide additional benefits of correction for
Ultraviolet (UV) light which can register on film and videotape
as a bluish cast and can obscure distant details. Also used to
reduce the bluish cast common with some electronic flash
units.

They almost sound exactly the same. Essentially, I'm looking for a good,
all-purpose filter for both day and indoor/night shooting that will protect
my lens and provide good quality light and color for those specific
instances when I'm not using my polarizing filter. I'm not sure if it
matters, but I have a Nikon D70 and Nikon F60.

Can someone please explain? Thanks so much.