Old August 10th 05, 08:56 AM
Barry Pearson

G.T. wrote:
"Jeremy Nixon" wrote in message

[snip]

So you're completely on-board with DNG. I was wondering who has enough
faith in the format to get rid of their originals. I definitely like the
idea of a standard RAW format and the smaller file size is a bonus. And it
looks like DNG is gaining at least a little traction with 3rd party RAW
converters.

I convert directly from the card to the PC, so my original PEFs never
get onto the PC. Once I have copied the DNGs to a second place, and
have checked the 2nd copy in Bridge to ensure that the conversion has
worked, I reformat the card in the camera.

I use ACR so I am not inconvenienced by Raw converters that don't
accept DNGs, but obviously I want to see all Raw-handling software
catering for DNG as well. At the moment there are about 35 or more
non-Adobe products that handle DNG, of which most are viewers and image
managers rather than Raw converters. The process of adoption by all
products is slow (but steady), and will take years, so some people
still need to retain their original files, or not use DNG at all.

My original main motivation was the smaller sizes. (I started using DNG
about 2 weeks after it was launched, in fact 10 months ago today!) Now,
the fact that ACR 3.1 can store its settings in the DNG file is another
advantage, because it keeps everything together.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/