Old November 23rd 03, 04:20 AM
Dean Van Praotl

Default Rule of Thirds?

Toke Eskildsen apparently said:

That is true the moment you want to apply the rule of thumb to a
specific picture, but not if you're trying to establish what the rule
of thumb should be.

Whichever rule you choose, either Rule of Thirds or Golden
Section, there will be those who say you chose poorly.
Both are exactly what you are looking, "rules of thumb" and
are just suggestions; rules made to be broken. Either is
valid some of the time, and neither is valid all the time.

If it's any help, I was taught the Rule of Thirds something like
thirty years ago, and the first time I heard of the Golden Section
being used in this way was probably less than one year ago.
For my money, Thirds is a lot easier to implement...