Old December 7th 06, 07:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Jay Beckman

Default There's little left to talk about

"Ken Lucke" wrote in message

Naw, most of Usenet's always been that way, _especially_ ever since the
Endless September started (Today's Current Date: September 4843, 1993).

I'll admit that back in the early 80's, most of Usenet was sane, but
that was because you actually had to have a clue to even figure out how
to get on it, and the clueless n00bs hadn't even HEARD of "the
internet"(it wasn't to be known as that for some time), let alone
Usenet. Also because you knew, at least by third person, a very large
number of fellow users who often were sysadmins - and they could screw
up your peerage if you ****ed them off - you were polite for the most
part, but flame wars were not all that uncommon even back then, either.

I've been on usenet for a fairly long time and until this year, I'd never
even established a kill file. This year, I'm having to wrack up names
faster than Death himself.

The photo groups have also been (by and large, IMO) relatively sane by
comparison but it's getting so that you can't even ask a basic photo
question without the dicussion decending into OT flames.

That again is fairly common. You just have to consider the source,
ignore the flamers, and persist. Just hold your conversation outside
of the flamers, as if they didn't exist, and eventually they usually
stop tying to bait you.

Maybe I'm just getting old but those who play the online equivalent of
class
clown(s) (every group has at least one and regulars know who they are)
who
run on about the same old crap over and over and over again have ceased
being funny.

Yup. Ignore 'em.

I really do think maybe the OP is correct... There just isn't anything
worth talking (typing) about any more.

Totally diagree. There's lots of stuff to discuss, as long as you
stick to the topics at hand and don't get distracted off into some
pointless discussion over plastic vs. metal or some other silly
obsession that whoever might poke their nose into a thread might have.

Ken,

Good history lesson. You've renewed my faith in my fellow cyber man...well,
mostly.

Regards,

Jay