Old January 1st 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default Old Omega Cold Light

The "flying saucer"? Not a bad little light. Omega claimed that the lamp
was a custom job (I could find the part number but doubt you'll find the
lamp unless Classic Omega Enlargers has a few--at one time Harry had
everything). But with a little fiddling a standard circular lamp will work,
try a warm white for VC papers.

The example I played with had three problems.

1.The interior lamphouse coating was a sort or eggshell white paint and was
severely flaking Could be repainted, I suppose.

2.Exposure times are long.

3.Start up times, this is not an instant-on lamp (like the Aristo with it's
pre-start heater).

The good news is that 2 and 3 sort of cancel each other out.

But why bother? a used Aristo head with the new W54 lamp is so much better.

BTW if you like the Flash Gordon / Buck Rogers look find an Omega Sphere D
(the black and white version off their original non-dichroic color head). I
have a non-operational example that would look right at home in Dr.
Frankenstein's lab. It uses a spherical mixing chamber and a couple or
tungsten lamps for a pretty fast little diffused light printer (and it looks
cool as hell, too.) Like a color head, if you find one, make sure it has
the longer rods for the parallelogram lifting rig that Omega used to elevate
their heads while changing carriers. And it had a special power
supply/timer (also like a colorhead).
--
darkroommike

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I came across someone with several Omega D2 enlargers. Some are fitted
with cold lights, and I have the opportunity to just buy the cold light
for my DII.

Described as follows:

"standard cold light for the older omega. Sort of
looks like a "space ship" round, elagant design. Uses a standard light
that can be found in a hardware store, so it doesn't take an expensive
bulb to replace"

Anybody know what this is? The Aristo cold lights definitely take a
special bulb.