Old May 20th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Where I keep my spare cats.

In article 3, Diesel
wrote:

You think the Mac is immune?

far more imune than PC's no mac as far as I know has been infected
by the lastest worm that afect the NHS and another 200,000 odd
users.

The latest worm is a win32 PE executable. Your mac, without
additional work on your end cannot execute the program. It wasn't
written for your mac. So, your example, is a bad one.

it's not a bad example at all. it's one example of many that shows that
malware on a mac is *far* less of a problem than on windows.

That does *not* mean malware written specifically to take advantage
of mac users doesn't exist. infact, it does.

it does, but it's rare and relies on the user to do something stupid.
the exploit is not the mac, but the person using it.

there isn't any mac malware that propagates entirely on its own.

But, Mac doesn't have
the userbase that Windows systems do. Rather, it's a niche market
for malware authors interest.

wrong. while the raw numbers of macs aren't as high, it's a *very*
lucrative market for a number of reasons.

the problem is that it's very difficult to write effective malware on a
mac. it must rely on tricking the user to do something, at which point
it's not a mac exploit, but rather a human exploit. there is no end to
human exploits. it's easy to trick people.

Hospitals don't routinely use Macs.

yes they do, as well as a significant number of ios devices.

while windows may be the most common, it's not the only system in use.

They're overpriced and incapable of competing against a PC with the
same level of money dumped into it. They do good (ie: struggle) to
compete with an inexpensive PC these days.

complete nonsense.

not only do macs *not* struggle, but they are competitively priced with
similar pcs, often less expensive.

If one should put the cash a typical mac costs into a PC clone, the
mac doesn't stand a chance. Macs used to specialize in graphics
design, and photography work; but, the newer video cards and
software available for the PC made the mac unable to realistically
compete there either. At best, it's become a level playing field
now.

level playing field means they *do* compete and are *not* overpriced or
struggling.

can't have it both ways.

Macs used to have the schools in the US on essential lockdown, but,
that's changed too. Now adays, kids are sent home with Windows based
laptops on lease from the school, typically budget Dells (in this
area)

nope. schools have mostly moved to chromebooks. there are also a lot of
ipads in use too.

In fact, Pixar (Now Disneys company) uses PC clones to do the
animated 'movies' you see these days. Not macs.

absolutely false.

movies are processed on a linux-based render farm, with mostly macs on
editor's desks. windows is for the boring ****, like payroll.

https://www.quora.com/Which-Disney-o...ve-been-render
ed-on-the-2013-Mac-Pro
Macs are used at Pixar primarily for storyboarding, art, editing,
sound, and administration - including a large fleet of laptops. Also
for the menus at the cafe and kiosk-style displays in the art
galleries. Animation is done on Linux boxes, and rendering on racks
of servers running Linux. Some Windows machines are used in
administration, payroll, the phone system, building management, and
such.
- Craig Good, An original PIxar employee. Worked there 31 years.

That's what you get for choosing to remain closed and proprietary.
Left behind.

nope. mac os is *less* proprietary than windows is. much of it is open
source. almost none of windows is open source.

that's slowly changing, however. microsoft is starting to do more with
open source and even embracing linux, something they trashed a decade
ago.

I don't need that knowlege and I very much doubt you could teach
it anyway.

LOL! The individual I tried to warn you about would disagree with
you. I'm infamous as a former blackhat. I've got quite the
reputation that he enjoys reminding me of at times. Some of my
'work' was written about in Rolling Stone magazine. So, doubt all
you like.

bull****.

As presently, you're spreading FUD. You're probably okay with
that, but, it is annoying for those of us who know better.

You know better by telling peole to download zip files because no
harmn can come of it. ?

A .zip file by itself is harmless.

by itself sure. once it's unzipped, not so much.

You actually run a better risk of
something nasty coming from a pdf...

that depends on the pdf viewer. some are safer than others.

it will never go away while the ignorant download things without
any thought.

What part of, downloading something doesn't automatically result in
an 'infection' is too complicated for you to understand?

absolutely false. it *can*.

which is why I donlt trust starngers offering zips.

I understand. You're a bit of a technological idiot, and, you think
a .zip file by itself if you download it can infect you. Ignorance
is a curable condition, but, what you suffer from, there's just no
cure. You can't fix stupid.

you prove that quite well.

But you can't post a text file or a PDF of such things only a zip.

A PDF actually presents more of a danger to you. I could slip you a
mickey with a pdf file much easier than I could a zip file. The PDF
can contain code that you wouldn't know was there, until your PDF
viewer of choice executed it for you (pending your pdf viewer is
exploitable, and, it most likely is) And, by then, it's too late.

since pdf is a native format on a mac, there is no 'pdf viewer'.

while there might be a way exploit pdf on a mac, it's rather unlikely
and getting more unlikely all the time.

your 'special' pdf is almost certainly *not* going to do much of
anything.

http://www.esecurityplanet.com/secur...nd-How-to-Avoi
d-Them-3932511.htm

tl;dr - don't install adobe acrobat or flash on any platform.

Ypou can post a link that actual gives information rather than
just a download link, a sign of a scammer if you knew anything
about security or malware yuo should know that these sort of
things are what you don't access in anyway.

You think I know nothing about security and/or malware do you?

not as much as you think you do, and very little of what you know is
applicable to macs.

you're also not the only person who knows about security.