Old November 28th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Doug Jewell[_3_]

Default $230 12MP camera?

Doug Jewell wrote:
John Adams wrote:
SMS 斯蒂文• 夏 wrote:

Stay away from the Olympus digital SLRs because they use a smaller
sensor and are noisier.

Then why do the Olympus E510 examples look better than the Nikon D40X
in side by side comparison?

http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.p...6&p2=2175&ph=2

Agree that the Olympus looks better in the first shot - but the
difference could be the lens, or could be differences in the level of
sharpening.
Now go to the drop down list and choose "Barbie, detail without flash".
The Nikon is at ISO 3200, the Olympus is only at ISO 800. Despite the
ISO on the Nikon being 4x the Olympus, they are about the same as far as
noise. The Nikon colouring looks better too.

Actually, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that site. Just
looked at a few other cameras, and it appears they don't
make much effort to ensure the cameras are shooting in
consistent settings. I picked a few cameras at random, and
they all had the main scene rendered at different sizes, and
the main scene seems to change quite a bit too.
If they can't maintain consistency in the scene, how are we
to know if they are using comparable camera settings? Other
than the barbie without flash, they don't say what ISO, what
white balance setting, what lens, what aperture, what
shutter speed etc, they have taken the photo with.