Old January 15th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
John McWilliams

Default Support of multiple core 64 bit processors and 4GB RAM

SimonLW wrote:
"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
Just wondering if there is image processing software which can make full
use of 64 bit processors with more than one core (i.e. Core 2 Duo, Core
2 Quad or equivalents from AMD) and which can use more than 4GB RAM (I
know for instance of mainboards which take 8GB RAM)? Intel is planning
to have a processor with 32 cores by 2009.

First you need an OS that can handle 64 bits. Windows XP, for example is 32
bit and can read 4GB of ram in which 2GB is given to the OS and 2GB is given
to the apps. There is a startup switch to give 1GB to the OS and 3GB to the
apps, however the max RAM per app (per session) is still limited to 2GB. The
64 bit versions, of course, are not limited this way, but you need a 64 bit
app (like you asked about). I'm not sure if PS is truly 64 bit.

No, it won't be until after CSIII. Lots of engineering/development
issues around this, and the "improvement" would be marginal, according
to some experts. I'd be among them, but for the fact that I'm not an
expert in that field.

There are some who've read the hype of the chip mfgs. who believe that
64 bits *NOW* is a panacea.

It ain't.

--
John McWilliams