Old March 24th 05, 07:12 PM
G. L. Pease

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 8:56:01 -0800, Gregory Blank wrote
(in message ):

Anybody like what they see? Why or why not?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0503/05...3proreview.asp

While I love my S2, I can't see that the S3 is really an improvement. Had
the aggressive noise reduction been a selectable option, the camera would
find a wider audience. I'm just not willing to sacrifice detail for the
sake of a little less noise. Putting the noise-reduction in their
post-processing software would have made more sense.

The enhanced dynamic range is interesting, but it's not a replacement for
proper exposure, though that's really what it seems to be targeted at.
I'd prefer a system that compressed the entire dynamic range to something
that simply prevents overexposed highlights from being blown out. But,
that's just me. Give me a curve that more closely resembles film, rather
than just a soft shoulder.

I think Nikon and Canon give better performance for less money; Fuji
missed the mark on this one. Despite my investment in Nikkor glass,
unless they do something really stellar in the next couple years, my next
DSLR will probably be Canon. If I were buying a system today, I'd
probably go with the 20D. The extra $1k would be better spent on glass
than a few more interpolated Mpx.