Old June 26th 04, 05:38 PM
EColar

Default Film response curves: best choice?

When comparing different film IL/density curves, I understood that some
films have a pretty extended density range (i.e. TMax100, HP5 and TriX) than
others (FP4, Delta100). Of course, each film being developed in its ideal
developer (ranging from TMax to Ilford DDX).

I guess that the paper response is also somewhat limited in range.

Therefore, my question is: is it better to work with an extended response
film or with a more limited one when looking for the maximum amount of
details?

I also guess that if the film density range exceed the paper on, the a large
amount of details, especially in the highlights, may be lost, so the
advantage of an extended response range film would also be lost; Resulting
simply in a more contrasted image in a limited film density range.

Thanks for your comments,

Emmanuel