Old February 21st 05, 08:18 PM
William Graham

"Chris Brown" wrote in message
Dimitrios Tzortzakakis wrote:
says...

Quite amusing to see someone with a Greek name
mistaking Democracy as something "from USA".

I mean modern democracy, not ancient.

You're still wrong - England had a democratically elected parliament
before
the USA even existed, and question over its supremacy over the monarch was
settled quite convincingly by its ordering the removal of Charles I's head
in the mid 17th century.

OK, so only a small proportion of the population could vote, but that was
also the case in the US for a long time. If you're looking for the first
example of a democratic system with universal suffrage, then New Zealand
is
probably as close as you're going to get.

And there are still people in the US today that believe only a small
proportion of the population should vote. My father believed that only
property owners should vote. I am not sure that he was wrong. There is
something about only allowing those who have a real stake in a country's
future to be allowed to control it, that appeals to some of us. Our country
is today controlled by millions of rif-raf who only came here for a hand
out, and don't really give a Damn whether we survive or die.......They don't
bother to learn the language, and will vote for whoever gives them the most
money in their welfare checks......