Old September 28th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
BetterInfo

Default Viewing Images on Computer Screen

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 10:20:41 +0800, "Wilba"
wrote:

Peter Black wrote:
Wilba wrote:
Gordo wrote:

I have a Nikon D80. OS is both Vista and XP, all updates installed. I
would like to connect the camera to a computer via the USB cable and
view
the image the camera is viewing on the computer screen in real time. Can
this be done? And if so, what should I do. I should mention that the
computer would also be connected to a projecter to show to a class of
new
digital camera users.

The Canons with LiveView (e.g. 450D, 500D, 40D, 50D, 7D) all do exactly
what you want using the supplied remote control software.

Is this the same as the point & shoot Canon SD430, but in the larger
camera?

No, they are all digital SRLs. I don't know anything about Canon compact
cameras.

Nearly all Canon Powershot P&S cameras provide this capability (except for
the latest releases, Canon stopped supporting remote capture). I much
prefer to use the freeware Cam4You Remote software for remote viewing and
capturing. Its capabilities and features beats the pants off of Granite Bay
Time Lapse or PSRemote, as well as greatly surpassing Canon's own support
of remote viewing and capturing software.

See this list of Canon Powershot (P&S) cameras supported by Cam4You Remote:

http://alkenius.no-ip.org/Cam4you_remote/index.html

Now if you want to get even more automated the SDM version of CHDK even
allows you to automatically download photos from Powershot cameras taken
with CHDK scripts (Av/Tv/Focus-bracketing, time-lapse, HDR, etc.) to your
computer as needed.