Old March 29th 12, 08:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Kotroczo

Default UK: good London camera shops

On 29/03/2012 18:47, Bruce wrote:
Joe wrote:
On 29/03/2012 15:48, Bruce wrote:
Joe wrote:
Hello all,
Quick question: can anyone recommend a good camera shop in Central or
North London?

Quick answer: There are a great many good camera shops in Central and
North London and some are truly excellent.

Recommending one (or several) would be made much easier if one knew
what sort of equipment you were intending to buy. New, used,
collectable, digital, film, what format, what brand(s)?

New digital, probably an EOS 60D with an 15-85mm. (Although someone
mentioned I should also look at the Sony A77 with the 16-50mm. Hmm...)

I do own some ancient analogue (Canon A1) which now and then gets an
airing, but I need the digital for work and I'm keen to upgrade from my G11.

I don't know where you are from, but if you are from North America you
are likely to get much better deals at home.

Erm, I'm from London? Well, not originally, but I've been here for
nearly 4 years now. Never been to the US of A, and I intend to keep it
that way.

(...)
Jessops is the largest UK chain of photo stores with over 200
locations. However they tend to be expensive.

I would recommend visiting Cameraworld (no connection with the US
company) at Wells Street, London W1 (just off Oxford Street which is
the main shopping street) and Jacobs at New Oxford Street.

Thanks! Cameraworld has some interesting used gear, I shall get in touch
with them.

--
Illegitimi non carborundum