Old September 22nd 05, 03:23 PM
Peter

JMW wrote:

You make a very common mistake.in your expectations. Compare the two
lenses at f8 and f11 - typical optimal settings.

Both the Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and and the 55mm/1.8 will be
at their best in the centre of the image at f/4 or f/5.6.

I really like my SMC Takumar 55mm/1.8. These were first-class
lenses when made, and in those days Kodachrome II (ASA 25)
was very popular and a lot of photography in sunlight was
done at f/4 or f/5.6.

I believe the Pentax will sell itself.

Agreed.

(The mistake - wider openings are for focus, being the most shallow in
DOF. Narrower openings are for shooting. Unless you buy a really big
bucks lens, don't expect wide open shots to represent what the glass
really can do.)

Pay no attention to the modest price tag. These were first class
lenses for their time. They are very nice at f/4 and not too
shabby wide open.

Peter.