Old May 27th 05, 12:20 AM
Barry Pearson

[snip]
Ok, then, send Canon a check to cover their costs of abiding by the
Official OpenRAW Standard, or to make up for lost revenue to products
or services which they would like to produce, but which can not fit
into this standard.

[snip]

The cost of abiding by a common Raw format would probably be small.
There would probably be a start-up cost - "climbing the learning
curve". (If I were a manager in a camera-making company, I would prefer
to manage the second camera in the company to use it, not the first!)

After that, it would probably be cheaper. There might be cost-savings
such as common bits of firmware that could be bought, re-used, etc. And
savings in learning about the format. There has been a lot of "wheel
re-inventing" up to now, with must surely add to cost, and perhaps
reduce quality.

No camera launched in the last year and a half would have needed a
change to a well-engineered common Raw format. The vast majority of
changes, such as more pixels, greater bit depth, etc, don't need
changes. So there may not be any such products and services that they
couldn't produce.

The one restriction that camera manufacturers would face is that they
could not then use encryption to coerce their customers to buy their
software.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/