Old May 26th 05, 10:42 PM

Alan Browne wrote:

Ok, then, "OpenRAW has no point if the file formats can be cracked
easily".

You admit the file formats can be cracked easily, therefore ...

Since it is all but impossible to encrypt the data in the first place,
there is no need to do so.

Again, that is something for the manufacturers to decide. (Personally,
I agree with you and likely the guy who wrote the firmware for the D70,
D2x, etc is also in violent agreement. It's the dingbats in marketing,
etc, who are ignorant.)

Or I suppose the OEM's could begin keying
the encryption on a case by case basis. Yeah, uh huh.

As you know, it wouldn't matter. www.google.com: softice debugger (and
so forth).

Nikon can also change their lens mount. What are you going to do, sue
them? After OpenRAW has passed their legislation mandating The File
Format, is the next step to mandate interoperable optics?

A good point that misses the point. Nikon have made big marketing hooey
over backward comaptible lens mounts. So in revenge they're making part
of their files unreadable? Yeah, okay. People will buy that. Sure.

Nikon is free to make fools of themselves in the market. Who are we to
complain?

You consented to it by pressing the shutter button.

Nobody considers this when they maintain Nikon lens collections or
purcahse a Nikon camera. Or other OEM's for that matter.

We all make mistakes. Sometimes big ones.