Old May 26th 05, 10:55 PM
Owamanga

On Thu, 26 May 2005 15:33:51 -0400, Alan Browne
wrote:

Owamanga wrote:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/raw-flaw.shtml

Chicken liken twaddle.

Open RAW is best for everyone in the long term. There's no excuse for
any data in the image created by the camera you own to be obfuscated or
encrypted.

With that I agree, my complaint is with stupidity such as this:

"What happens when your new Quatum Cube based computer no longer can
read CDs, or DVDs, or its operating system can't deal with something
as old and arcane as Windows XP or Mac OSX?

Far fetched you say? We'll, how many of you have a stack of 3.5"
floppies somewhere in your desk drawer, and when was the last time you
had a floppy disk drive attached to your computer? Still do you say?
OK. How about 5.25" floppies? Bet you don't have one of these sitting
around anymore, except maybe moldering away in the basement
somewhere."

Now tell me Alan, how does Open RAW suddenly enable a 3.5" floppy disk
to fit into a DVD drive?

The article overall, is garbage.

"What happens if you've lost your software disk? What happens if you
change computers and can't find the CD any longer? What happens if the
Megaflex Company (the makers of your camera) goes out of business, and
no longer has a copy of the software on their web site for you to
download?"

"What happens if we run out of electricity? What happens if your dog
goes crazy and sucks out your eyeballs one night? What happens if the
CEO of Fox Television decides to kill all our children? What happens
if Michael Jackson turns out to be a girl?"

(Competition: which piece did I make up?)

Honestly, they have gone way over the top.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga