Old August 15th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default High ISO noise CCD's vs CMOS

mswlogo wrote:
Ok, I'm in the market for my first DSLR (upgrade from 35 mm SLR and
Nikon 5700).

I've been looking at reviews on the Sony A100, Nikon D80/D200 and Canon
30D.

These are both 1600 ISO (see reviews for more detailed information
about conditions etc).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/IMG_8337.JPG

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/DSC_3490.JPG

What a HUGE difference !!!

Did you look at the exif? The Canon photo is at 1/250s f/2.8 while the
Nikon at 1/100s f/7.1. (There is no ISO in the Nikon's exif data). Also
the sharpness in the Nikon is set to "hard", which seems a less than
intelligent thing to do when shooting at ISO 1600.

There is a difference between the two cameras in terms of noise (I
spent some time trying the 20D and the D200 when I was deciding), but
it's by no means as much as you'd think from these two samples.