Old August 15th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
ColinD

Default High ISO noise CCD's vs CMOS

mswlogo wrote:
Ok, I'm in the market for my first DSLR (upgrade from 35 mm SLR and
Nikon 5700).

I've been looking at reviews on the Sony A100, Nikon D80/D200 and Canon
30D.

These are both 1600 ISO (see reviews for more detailed information
about conditions etc).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/IMG_8337.JPG

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/DSC_3490.JPG

What a HUGE difference !!!

I see so many people say only if you shoot high ISO is it a concern.
Unless your shooting with lights in a studio can't any one use high ISO
at times?

If you can get 2 (or so) stops lower on every lens and get the same
picture, why not take it? You'll pay a small fortune for 2 stops on a
lens.

Are there other compromises in going higher ISO (even in the low range)
besides noise. Do you lose color accuracy etc.

I really favor Nikon for feel and operation. But this ISO noise has me
leaning towards canon CMOS. I also see numerous comments that Canon IS
is better than Nikon VR. So that to me is worth probably another stop.

So the canon seems to have like a 3 stop advantage over Nikon.

I have no investment in lens (my 35mm was a Pentax and I'd never use
those boat anchor manual focus lens again).

You'll get used to the feel of the 30D; you'll never be happy with the
crap images from the Nikon.

No contest. Canon.

Colin D.