Old July 29th 15, 04:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Savageduck insisted

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 16:42:06 -0700, Savageduck

On 2015-07-28 23:29:35 +0000, PeterN said:

On 7/28/2015 3:25 AM, Bill W wrote:
Okay, I was forced to post some air show photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/489821...7654121813454/

Comments

are welcome, but on the processing, of course. They're just
planes in the sky, not much you can do with those as far as
composition goes.

Anyway, all work was done in LR, all photos were cropped, and all had
at least some of the following adjustments: color temp, exposure,
shadows, highlights, clarity, vibrance, saturation, and sharpening,
and one photo used the haze removal slider (the one with the sun in
the upper right corner). Those are the things I'm interested in
comments on. I see after posting them that there is noise in the sky
in some of them. I really need to look into that, but it might just be
aggressive sharpening. I also failed to remove spots in a couple of
the photos. I do need to learn to clean those lenses...

What look are you trying to achieve.
Try playing with levels /curves on a separate layer. Judicious use will
cause your image to really pop.

http://www.picturecorrect.com/tips/when-to-use-levels-or-curves-in-photoshop/

There are also some neat free tutorials on youtube.

You might have noticed that Bill is doing all his post in Lightroom.
While you have a tone curve adjustment panel in LR it does not provide
the same level of flexibility as curves and levels in PS.

In may cases, you can achieve much the same results by playing around
with 'whites' and 'blacks' to adjust the end points (as in levels) and
'highlights' and 'shadows' (as in manipulating the image as with a 'S'
curve). However you can't do any of the really peculiar things you can
do when manipulating a curve in a really complex way.

Eric Stevens