Old December 28th 16, 01:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default For the aviation enthusiasts

On 12/27/2016 1:39 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 12/21/2016 9:37 PM,
wrote:
On Wednesday, December 21, 2016 at 8:52:59 PM UTC-5, Savageduck wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 3:51:50 PM UTC-5, Bill W wrote:
I went to the Nellis AFB "aviation nation" show last month, and took
some photos. I know nothing about aircraft, military or not, but there
might be some interesting planes in these shots. I know a couple of
you are into aviation, so here they a

https://www.flickr.com/gp/48982192@N05/42w0W6

For once, I'm not really looking for comments on the photography,
although I'll listen if anyone has any. I still don't have a lens for
this stuff, and I might never have one, with Sigma & Tamron dropping
the Pentax mount for most of their lenses. They both have pretty
decent 150-600's now, but neither for Pentax.

Hi,

Nice pix. I especially enjoyed the Flying Tiger and the Mitchell B-25,
which brought back memories of W.W.II.

Mort Linder

Then you should enjoy this shot of the same B-25 I took a few years ago. I
have shared it, or a version of before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/38e4wep8gka4bj6/DNC_4900-E2.jpg?dl=0

Savageduck

Hi Duck,
That is a fantastic shot of a B-25. I clearly remember the Tokyo raid in 1942, which afforded little damage, but was a gigantic victory due to its psychological effect on both sides of the big pond.

Mort Linder

The Tokyo raid had the additional effect of causing Japan to divert
resources from the front lines, to a more direct defense of the
homeland. I suspect that may have saved many lives, and shortened the war.

Saved lives, perhaps. But it didn't shorten the
war. You can argue that it was the atomic
bombing or the Russian declaration of war that
brought Japan to the point of surrender, but the
timing of either was pretty much independent of
anything that involved the Japanese military.

Based upon past history, the USSR would not have entered the war had we
not been on the point of invading Japan. If Japan had greater front line
capability, it would have taken us longer to get to that point. Whether
we would have dropped the bomb anyway, is speculative. Remember we only
had two of them.

--
PeterN