Old January 24th 04, 08:05 PM
Jean-David Beyer

Default Anti-UV layer in films???

HypoBob wrote:
A couple of years ago I read an article about UV photography and
learned that one problem that UV photographers have is that most
color films have a UV blocking layer that keeps UV away from the
emulsion.

Does anyone know if any black and white films, particularly the newer
T-grain versions, have built-in UV blockage?

I do not know, but I very much doubt it, since there is no particular
need for it. The shorter ultra-violet would be blocked by the glass in
the lenses. The problem with the blue and ultra-violet in color films is
mainly that you do not want them to excite the green and red sensitive
layers, so they put a yellow filter between the blue-sensitive (top)
layer and the others. It is probably mainly colloidal silver that would
be removed in a bleach or fixing step.

I suppose there could be an ultra-violet blocking layer over the top of
the film; I guess this could reduce the apparent sensitivity of the top
layer. The books I have read do not mention that, but the most up to
date one I have is from about 1966 (Theory of the Photographic Process,
Third Edition), and they may have changed since then.

For B&W, anyone who needed it could use a weak (or stronger, of course)
yellow filter such as a #6.

/V\ Registered Machine 73926.
^^-^^ 3:00pm up 18 days, 2:25, 5 users, load average: 2.26, 2.37, 2.28