Old July 24th 20, 07:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default Oh yeah; put your faith in the "cloud."

On 24/07/2020 15.38, Ken Hart wrote:
On 7/24/20 8:37 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Jul 23, 2020, RichA wrote
(in ):

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53516413

I guess there is a lesson somewhere in that.

"They (the hackers) told my university that there is 'no reason to
believe that the stolen data was or will be misused'.

There's no reason to not believe what the people who stole your data and
held it for ransom tell you.

It is not in the interest of the hackers to not keep their word about
destroying the data, because then others will not pay the ransom. Of
course there is no warranty, but...

«Blackbaud, whose headquarters are based in South Carolina, declined to
provide a complete lists of those impacted, saying it wanted to "respect
the privacy of our customers".»

«Under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), companies must report
a significant breach to data authorities within 72 hours of learning of
an incident - or face potential fines.

The UK's Information Commissioner's Office [ICO], as well as the
Canadian data authorities, were informed about the breach last weekend -
weeks after Blackbaud discovered the hack.»

Well, it is a lesson for Europeans: do not use USA hosted servers.

--
Cheers, Carlos.