Old July 23rd 20, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
-hh

Default Help with bags?

On Thursday, July 23, 2020 at 10:25:18 AM UTC-4, newshound wrote:
I have a Billingham Pro, great for the 100-400 but a bit large for a
single camera and smaller lens.

Retrospective 7, great for one or two bodies and a few lenses. Excellent
design, very flexible. OK if carrying the grip detached, and other bits
and pieces, but the nice thing about the X-T3 with 16-80 is that it does
almost everything.

Retrospective 5, sort of works but it is a tight squeeze with the grip
on. Easy to knock the lens cap off when taking out or putting away.

Lowepro backpack, brilliant if you are out on a shooting session with
all the kit, the "side door" is fine for a gripped body even with the
50-230. Probably not quite wide enough for the 100-400 although I have
not tried that. But that leaves me with six spare "pockets" for lenses,
batteries, filters, and the top pocket if I'm just carrying the one body
and lens.

With the X-T3 and grip I find I just don't need to carry spare batteries
or memory cards (at least for a casual outing, obviously I would carry
spares if I was shooting a big sports event or a wedding).

I have a couple of unbranded shoulder bags but they are either a bit too
small or a bit under-padded for my liking.

Because you'd mentioned the grip, I was thinking towards more
professional-oriented companies, such as Think Tank, which
you're already familiar with. Another to browse could be
Kinesis:

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis

Been awhile since I've bought anything from them; I recall
their customer service to pick the right product as pretty
good.

Because you're working a body with a grip, I suspect
that their C380 holster bag may be a bit too small.

Their C540 (link below) looks like enough room for the
body w/grip, without going too overboard on lens pocket?

https://kgear.eogear.com/collections/kinesis-camera-and-lens-holster-cases/products/kinesis-c540-medium-tall-holster-case

FWIW, the k-gear typically has some nice external hardpoints
that one can use to attach accessory pouches/etc.

-hh