Old July 7th 20, 03:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper[_2_]

Default Morro Bay -Drone Revisit - / (1/1) [2K]

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 14:15:56 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 20:56:32 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Jul 2020 12:28:49 +1200, Eric Stevens
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 16:14:00 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Jul 5, 2020, Tony Cooper wrote
(in ):

On Sun, 05 Jul 2020 13:25:05 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Weird things about Indiana:
1. What the hell is a "Hoosier"?

I have wondered that myself. Nothing to do with hoses. Perhaps Tony Cooper might be able to educate us, he is IIRC an Indiana native now exiled to FL.

You have no idea how many people ask me that. I gave up trying to
offer explanations years ago. I goes back at least to the early
1800s. If I offer one explanation, someone will come along and say
"No, that's not it. It comes from ....".

Even Wikipedia has a bunch oddball etymology which it seems has not been pinned down.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoosier

Then there's joker who says it comes from "Who's your father?"
suggesting that your mother wasn't sure who it was. That gets old.

I'm left-handed, too. I also gave up explaining why we are called
"southpaws". Too many different suggested origins of the term.

Much easier to explain why British policemen are called "Bobbies" or
"Peelers". Nice, clear reason available.

Robert Peel would be glad that you knew that factoid.

Did you know his father came from Scotland? Kenneth John Peel?

I'll bet I'm the only Yank here that understands that reference.

D'ye think I'm right?

Did you know his great-grandson was John Ravenscroft?

Now you have lost me :-)

That's the real name of John Peel, the BBC Radio 1 personality. Quite
well known in the UK from the late 1960s until he died in 2004. Though
he was English, he got his start in radio in the US.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida