Old October 5th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Marvin[_2_]

Default Compress different parts of a pix by different amounts?

mike wrote:
I don't know the proper terms, but here's the idea.
Take a big pix at high resolution (eg spectators at a football game).
Use a combination of pixel scaling and compression to
get a highly compressed picture, small file size, picture 1.
Print picture 1.
Print the original picture.
Take scissors and cut out small parts of the high resolution
(eg a face)
pix and glue them on Picture 1 in the right places.

Wanna do that digitally.

I want small file size. I want the big picture for context.
I want high resolution in a few small parts of the picture.
I'd like to render the picture on a windows PC without extra stuff.
Would be nice to be able to put the pix on a website and have
a standard PC browser render it correctly. I want it freeware.

Ideas?
Thanks, mike

In an image editor like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, you can
select parts of the photo and blur them. All parts of an
image must have the same number of pixels per inch, but they
don't have to be equally sharp. Another way to make one
part of the image stand out is to leave it in color while
making the rest grayscale.