Old April 30th 18, 02:26 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

Default What lens for wildlife photography?

On 4/28/2018 11:38 PM, Savageduck wrote:
On Apr 28, 2018, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

A YouTube video included the latest Nikon Rumours..
https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/28/w...lash-468.aspx/
Good value even if you don't own a Nikon.

That depends on the wildlife, and location, but I am getting ahead of myself.

First it is a $800 70-210mm f/4, and that is undoubtably a good value for a
FF 200mm zoom, but at that price is not a particular bargain for that spec
lens. I would only fully comment on its capability once there are a few
impartial reviews. If I am not mistaken I believe you already own a better
lens in the Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 (I am not sure which edition). Under the
right circumstances getting out as far as 200mm is OK for some birds and
wildlife in an environment which brings your subjects closer to you.
Otherwise, especially with a FF camera I would look to a lens which would
stretch things out to 300mm, 400mm, or 600mm (with, or without TCs).

I can only comment on my own usage. I use the Nikon 70-200, old version,
with a Nikon 1.7 TC, and the new version of the Nikon 80-400, usually
with my D500. I have also tested the Nikon 200-500.

For my shooting, I found the 70-200 to have the fastest tracking, even
with the TC17. i mostly use the 80-400 either as a zoo lens, or when I
know I will not get close to the animals. I did not get the 200-500,
because it seems to be a very good, and sharp lens, I am unable to carry
it easily for more than about 1/2 hour. To my eye neither the Sigma nor
Tamron (150-600) were as crisp as my Nikons. That is just my opinion.
Others may have different results, or use their cameras differently.

--
PeterN

---
http://www.avg.com