Old July 12th 15, 07:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

On 2015-07-12 18:42:08 +0000, "Gary Eickmeier" said:

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In the past it used to be so that you could not trust memory cards, so
you would not use too large sizes, to avoid losing all images in case of
a malfunction. But I get the impression that nowadays memory cards are
very reliable, so you could in principle put a 256GB memory card into
the camera, and only use that for an entire trip. Any thoughts about
this?
--
Alfred Molon

Haven't seen much about brands here yet, so.... I have had a few failures
on the usual "cheap" cards I used to get, which scared the devil out of me.
Upon a little study on the matter, I have settled on Lexars, which have
never failed me. I format them in camera before I use them. Now using SDXC
64 and 128G for 4k video with great success.

I use SanDisk and Lexar CF and SDHC cards and have not exerienced any failures.
That said there was a period back when I was using 2 GB CF cards that
some Lexar CF cards would only upload to my desktop using their
proprietrary card reader, and their proprietry card reader would not
read other brand cards. I am glad to say they fixed that thinking some
time ago. I still have two of those readers which were bundled with the
CF cards, today they are just useless relics.

Savageduck