Old July 12th 15, 05:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

Default Memory cards reliable enough?

On 2015-07-12 16:34:49 +0000, Tony Cooper said:

On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 16:11:07 +0100, David Taylor
wrote:

On 12/07/2015 15:57, Tony Cooper wrote:
[]
After I download the images from my card to my computer I format the
card.

[]

I keep my cards "locked away" until I'm sure the images have multiple
backups (multiple PCs, and one or two 2.5-inch HDs).

BTW: I find it best to format in the camera, perhaps that's what you do
as well?

I upload to Lightroom, note that the images have all been uploaded,
and then close Lightroom. Lightroom backs-up when closed because it
it set to back-up each time it's closed.

You are living with a bit of false security there Tony, the Lightroom
backup catalog does not back up the image files.

The Lightroom backup catalog does not actually contain your photos,
they must be backed up separately.
Backing up your Lightroom catalog file is extremely important, it
contains all the details about edits, keywords, and ratings you have
applied to photos.
Editing photos in Lightroom is nondestructive, which means Lightroom
never changes the original photos. Instead, Lightroom records the
details of your edits in a catalog file. The Lightroom catalog file
also includes the location of each photo on your computer, as well as
metadata for the photo, such as keywords and ratings.

You should develop an additional backup protocol for Lightroom.
There are two ways to deal with that if you have an external HDD.
Starting with import you can imort to two locations, you working
location on your primary drive, and to the secondary external
archive/backup drive.
The other way is to conduct a regular back up of your primary Lightroom
image folder & the Lightroom catalog folder to an external HDD.

The card is re-placed in the camera and then formatted in the camera.

If there was some really important images involved I might take an
extra step to back them up another way, but I'm talking about my
normal procedure here.

Images are uploaded to a file on D:, and the D: drive is backed up to
an external drive every night.

That is a good back up plan for your originals. However, by copying the
Lightroom catalog folder to the same external drive you also have a
backup of all the ratings, keywords, edits, etc.

Savageduck