Old March 14th 05, 04:50 PM
rafeb

Bob wrote:

Images from digital files can be archivally printed too. Why do you
think that photos from color film will be around in 1000 years? I've got
color prints that have already faded; there's no way they will last 100
years, let alone 1000.

Agreed. Color and BW printing (both traditional and
inkjet) are qualitatively different.

I'll put my money on pigment inks, but dyes are
inherently less stable. The only hope for dye ink
longevity is a very compatible substrate that can
prevent oxidation of the inks. I don't know how
one might prevent the breakdown of dye molecules
from simple photon energy. Gelatin and swellable
polymer substrates seem to be the key to dye ink
longevity.

rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com