Old September 13th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_8_]

Default Hummingbird meets electronic shutter

On Sep 13, 2020 at 1:53:48 PM PDT, "Alfred Molon"

says...

https://pbase.com/andersonrm/image/171033412

I learned early that there is a time, place, and appropriate subject for the
electronic shutter. Along with rolling shutter, artificial lighting,
including flash/speedlight can cause issues.

My first captured example of rolling shutter was also a Hummingbird.

You can't use current electronic shutters for very fast moving
objects. It would have to be a global electronic shutter, not a
row by row one.

We still wait on the global electronic shutter.

With my Fuji’s I follow recommendations and use a mix of shutter options
depending on subject and location:

Generally I stick with the mechanical shutter which takes me up to 1/8000.
However, I usually have my X-T3 set Electronic Front Curtain shutter up to
1/2000, and mechanical shutter for speeds faster than 1/2000 to 1/8000, but
mostly I just use the mechanical shutter.

If I am using flash/speed light that is mechanical shutter only.

If I need speeds higher than 1/8000, up to 1/32000 I use the electronic
shutter. These days that is something I seldom use, unless I am out in
particularly bright, or harsh sunlight without appropriate ND filters, if my
subject is not moving too much.

Personally I'm still dreaming of that new sensor which Panasonic
presented a while ago: organic, with three stacked colour
layers, probably global electronic shutter (but I can't
remember), and the collected charge is stored in separate
capacitors.

Dream away.

This would give you all three RGB colour components at each
pixel, a huge dynamic range and a global electronic shutter
(would allow extremely short flash sync time).

I don't know about Olympus, but with Fuji flash is disabled when using
electronic shutter, or electronic front curtain shutter.

Savageduck