Old February 3rd 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Soft edges on C330 shots

Peter Chant wrote:
Alan Browne wrote:

Do you think it is lens softness wide open or solely focus? I don't
think I'd expect enough softness to be seen on a lowish res scan with a
MF lens. Am I thinking along the right lines?

Could be softness from being wide open.

Tripod? Shutter speed? Release cable? Bad scan?

Can't be the tripod, wasn't using one...

Shutter speed, probaly 1/60th, may have been chancing it at 1/30th...
Actually amazed that with the 55mm lens I have gotten away with 1/15th
on occation.

Release cable, bit silly if you are hand held...

Duh, but I didn't know it was hand held.

I know - I'm going to get the tripod lecture - I really must take it out on
a tripod and see what happens some day!

That's it - beat yourself up before I get a chance. The 'rule-of-thumb'
speed is only good for smallish prints, IMO. Present that photo screen
size and it starts to look a bit soft.

I'd put most of the softness to being handheld.

I'm wondering about the scan. Would explain why the bottom left of the
building is unsharp when the top is.

Plane of focus?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.