Old August 7th 10, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Jean-David Beyer

Default Pyro Developers Question.

IanG wrote (in part):
Yes there can be advantages and an increase in quality how much depends
on the way you work and the developer you choose.

Pyrocat HD gives finer grain, better sharpness and more tonality than
D76,

What does "more tonality" mean?

I cannot believe it means a greater dynamic range, because films, with
very few exceptions these days, have way more dynamic range than can be
printed onto photographic papers.

While I no longer use D-76, it is certainly a fine-enough grain
developer for 4x5 negatives at sizes up to 16x20, I would say. And it is
certainly well capable of getting a density of 2.0 or greater from the
films with which I am familiar.

Now it may well produce a slightly different curve shape, though that is
mostly determined by the design of the film. And some people obviously
like different curve shapes from others. I prefer short toe curve shape,
where most people seem to prefer a longer toe than I do. The only
disadvantage of short toe, in my opinion, is that if you underexpose, it
is just not there. So if you pop away on street corners in rapidly
changing conditions, Garry Winogrand style, you may prefer a longer toe
than I do. I believe he mostly used Tri-X in his Leicas.

although originally designed for LF negatives it's also used for
35mm &120 negatives.

^^-^^ 13:05:01 up 13 days, 15:57, 4 users, load average: 4.42, 4.57, 4.56